Nonprofit investigative news service seeks development and marketing coordinator
Pine Tree Watch, the investigative news service of the Maine Center for Public Interest Reporting, is seeking a development and marketing coordinator to manage the nonprofit journalism organization’s fundraising and outreach efforts.
This position, under the supervision of the executive editor, is responsible for implementing Pine Tree Watch’s development plan, including identifying and pursuing grant opportunities and individual donors, maintaining a database of all contacts and assisting with public and private events. The successful candidate will also use marketing best practices to raise Pine Tree Watch’s visibility, increase readership of its work and boost engagement with its audience.
Since our news service’s founding in 2009, our reporters have broken more than 250 stories, led to changes in state laws and won state and national awards. Our nonpartisan investigative news stories about Maine state government have become must-read material for anyone who cares about how their democracy is working.
This position is based at the Maine State House in Augusta, although we will consider remote employment opportunities for the right candidate. Occasional travel is required.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Execute all development programs, including managing Fall and Spring appeals, identifying and soliciting major donors, researching grant opportunities, and writing grant applications and reports
- Maintain database of all contacts, including donors, readers, contributors and advisors
- Oversee all marketing programs, including social marketing campaigns, digital and social advertising campaigns, and other marketing efforts
- Assist with organizing occasional in-person marketing and development events, including private parties and public events
- Produce quantitative bimonthly reports on grant applications, donations and marketing events for the board of directors
- Mastery of social and digital marketing best practices, including Facebook posts and ads and Twitter posts. Knowledge of Google AdWords a plus.
- Competency with email marketing tools and best practices
- Experience with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) concepts and systems
- Strong written, oral and in-person communication skills
- Solid organizational skills
- Nonprofit and/or grant-writing experience a plus
40 hours per week
- Salary: $40,000 per year
- Fully paid individual health insurance
- Vacation and paid holidays
- Some schedule/office-hours flexibility
How to apply:
Email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Joshua Moore, Executive Editor, at email@example.com. (No phone calls, please.) Application deadline is September 15, 2017.